Millennials have been leading sales of produce for a while now. According to thePacker.com, millennials eat 2.7 servings of produce a day, more than any other generation. Yet one area where millennials are not the highest purchasers is bananas. The Produce Retailer reports that 64% of millennials purchased bananas, compared to 80% of shoppers over the age of 40. While this may not be the best news retailers want to hear, there is hope on the horizon.
Reports show that bananas continue to overall be one of the most popular items in the produce department, with about 76% of consumers purchasing them in the past year. Although millennials are not purchasing as many bananas as their older counterparts, it is interesting to note that millennials displayed the highest growth in banana consumption over the past decade. This indicates a group of consumers that have been “underdeveloped’ but display high growth potential.
Retailers would do well to keep in mind that in order to grow this group of consumers, it is important to speak their language. Millennials are drawn to companies that support social responsibility and are environmentally conscious. They also like products which are nutritious and non-artificial and are drawn to snacks that are portable and convenient. Bananas also provide an excellent source of energy and are the perfect workout boost.
Millennials are also driving all things digital, such as online shopping and social media. In order to relate, retailers must harness the power of social media. This means using popular platforms to offer education about bananas that is also translatable to everyday life.
Millennials are poised to not only continue, but increase organic produce consumption, and by careful strategy and understanding of trends and patterns, we can continue to deliver based on their needs.
Organics Unlimited prides itself on offering are demanding fresh organic produce sustainably and ethically farmed from the ground up. Learn more about offering Organics Unlimited and GROW by Organics Unlimited organic bananas in your store at OrganicsUnlimited.com. Follow Organics Unlimited on Facebook and Twitter for more news.
From Thanksgiving to New Year’s, this is the season for parties and celebrations. Cocktail hours to brunches and all other social activities brings indulgence and the dreaded holiday weight gain. On top of that, the holidays can be stressful when you factor in travel, hosting and constantly being on the go. This year, protect your waistline and your immune system by taking a simple preventative measure: eat more organic bananas!
Organics Unlimited bananas have 16% of the Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) of dietary fiber; this helps keep digestion regular and maintains low blood sugar. One banana also has an impressive 34% of the RDI of vitamin B6, essential in helping the body produce hemoglobin, antibodies, immune response and maintain a proper blood/sugar ratio.
Positioning bananas as a healthy addition to your holiday snacking will resonate with your customers. Here are a few more tips to share with your customers:
- Provide printed, healthy breakfast and snack recipes to customers. Whether a busy weekday or a holiday weekend hosting special guests, these breakfasts and snacks can provide a break from heavy holiday foods.
- To prepare for holiday parties and visitors, more customers will be making more trips to the grocery store during the months of November and December. Add grab-and-go stations near cash registers to offer customers single bananas as snacks or quick breakfast. You can also cross-promote bananas by pairing them with other holiday foods.
- Children especially need to get lots of nutrients this time of year as their immune systems fight off colds and the flu. According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), children between the ages of 2-3, 4-8 and 9-13 should consume 1, 1- 1.5 and 1.5 cup(s) (respectively) of fruit per day. By cross-promoting bananas and gearing organic banana merchandising specifically toward youth, you can not only enhance your store’s produce section and help increase sales, but also help ensure that children receive the recommended daily levels of fruit.
- Highlight the health benefits of bananas! During these months of indulgence, your customers will appreciate making a healthy decision.
- During the holidays, people are more inclined to give to causes which make a difference. Now is the perfect time to highlight how the purchase of GROW by Organics Unlimited bananas helps to raise the standard of living across entire communities!
To learn more about our organic bananas and how you can offer Organics Unlimited and GROW organic bananas in your store, please visit OrganicsUnlimited.com. You may also follow Organics Unlimited on Facebook and Twitter for more news.